Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Prairie plants


This is the time of year, when summer hits the Prairie State, that I get excited about prairies! Not just the wonderful grassland birds--dickcissels, meadowlarks, field sparrows, grasshopper sparrows, Henslow's sparrows, bobolinks, red-winged blackbirds, common yellowthroats, swallows, etc. -- but also the beautiful prairie flowers. While I have slowly, over the years, gotten fairly comfortable at identifying the birds (at least they sing! and I have a good audio-memory so that is quite helpful) but I am also trying to learn to identify the plants. I took a look through our photo archives to see what kinds of pictures we have, and am embarrassed that, even with three wildflower books at hand, I am not sure of all of them.

So if anyone can help out...please do! And enjoy the gallery of Illinois wildflowers that follows.

This picture is of a spiderwort...I confess I can't tell the different kinds of spiderworts apart yet.

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful photos! I'm trying to do the same thing up here! There's a good U.P. wildflower guide I'm going to buy this weekend. I'm going to start with the wildflowers on our land. So far, I have positively I.D.ed the daisies!

    ReplyDelete