Monday, July 26, 2010


Behind all the action was a nice mudflat, with several great egrets in the water and at least fifty killdeer, interspersed with some solitary sandpipers and other peeps, feeding on the muddy shore. Unfortunately, they were just too far away to identify them all! I so need a better spotting scope!

By this time, it was around 11:30, and starting to get uncomfortably hot and humid again. Greenturtle and I had planned on making a whole day of our trip, but the cool morning had made me overly optimistic, and I had left the air conditioner off. With the heat rising, I was worrying about the comfort and safety of my cockatiels at home, so it was time to turn back....

Plus, it was just getting too hot to bird. If only I were rich, I'd spend the summer birding the Arctic Circle. Last summer was so perfect, only a few uncomfortably hot days...but this one! How ironic, as winter dragged on and I shivered through ten degree Fahrenheit trips to Starved Rock to see the eagles, I kept thinking, If only it were warm...if only it were summer...I wouldn't complain about the heat, honest, all I want in life is to be able to feel my toes.... And now it's summer, and am I happy? NO, I want fall.

Well, warm or cool, in just one month the warblers will be coming through. Hooray!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Leigh, what a lovely morning you had! All those wonderful birds, including a pileated! I'm so envious! Tell Larry he takes great photos. Wish I was there! Mom

    ReplyDelete