Sunday, June 19, 2011

"Evil bamboo"


I have found a use for the detestable, wildly invasive bamboo that's taken over part of my back yard: my dogs like to play with the cut culms (as long as there's a human dragging them around).

Yes, that's dogs, as in more than one. I was worried that my little dachshund, Trevor, that we adopted from the Humane Society, might be getting lonesome while we work, so Saturday Greenturtle and I adopted a friend for him, a seven month old cocker spaniel we have re-named Raven.


She is a very sweet girl, and she and Trevor get along great. She and her littermates were rescued from the backyard of a so-called backyard breeder. When they didn't sell as he'd been hoping, he lost interest in them. Unfortunately, as a puppy who's not too used to houses, she has her fair share of accidents. Meanwhile Trevor still has some anger management issues, such as barking, lunging and growling at every person he doesn't like when I take him for walks.

Individually I love them both but together they can be a bit of a trial. Which is why I like to wear them out with games such as Evil Bamboo. It's easy to play. You cut down a stalk (culm) of bamboo and then drag it around the yard for the dogs to chase and (in Trevor's case) viciously attack.






I apologize to the squeamish amongst you, but here is the final bamboo kill.




The victor resting triumphantly:


Aside from playtime, apart from trying to keep the yard from being overtaken by weeds and bamboo, this year I have decided to focus on container gardening. My herbs (basil, parsley, mint, lemon balm and rosemary) are doing great--in fact, I used my own parsley when I made dinner tonight -- and Friday I also put in some flowers. No butterflies have stopped by yet, but at they add a splash of color.


If dogs chasing bamboo around is not your thing, don't worry, I'll be back with more birding adventures later in the week.

1 comment:

  1. Raven is as beautiful as Trevor is handsome! We all enjoyed this photo essay so much. Evil bamboo deserves whatever horrible end it meets! Your pot garden is lovely. (My boss has the same anger management issues as Trevor. Same behavior, too.) Mom

    ReplyDelete