Friday, June 10, 2011

Goslings galore!


Not very long ago, my life consisted of a mere trio of activities: work, bird, blog. I am not saying that this was a bad thing, for birding and blogging bring me great pleasure; and as for the work part...well, that "sponsors" the other stuff. (And now, Bird Ephemera...brought to you by my Day Job!)

Then I bought a house, moved to a different town, and adopted a dog from the Humane Society. This is my cue to supply another gratuitous cute dog picture:


So I lost the tail end of migration to the "birding hiatus" necessitated by moving (arghh...and still not all the way unpacked!), and now my life is suddenly crammed with more activities than ever: work, commute, dog-walking, yard work, birding, blogging...you see how some activities got knocked down a notch or two on the priority list. Not that I will ever tire of birding! It's just that in the meantime I have to spend time with the dog (and he's so cute and loving, I don't begrudge him a minute) and keep my yard from being completely conquered by weeds.

Anyway, it's summer. Migration is over...at least until the sandpipers start moving through again at the end of July...and since my personal resources don't allow for madcap birding adventures at the moment, I am stuck with enjoying the breeding birds of two counties: De Witt (where I live now) and McLean (where I work).

This includes goslings!


When I returned to my workplace after taking a week off to move, my Work Place Pond seemed to be almost an alien landscape. The profusion of greenery, every gap crowded by nature's endless fecundity, felt almost a bit claustrophobic. And although the cardinals were whooping from the treetops, and robins and grackles in abundance, not a migrating warbler or vireo did I see. On the pond itself, the coots had all vacated.

But as a consolation, there are goslings. Several Canada geese couples make their home on the pond each year, and there are goslings of all stages, from tiny sweet fuzzballs to awkward adolescents starting to sprout adult plumage, traipsing back and forth across the lawn, accompanied by their attentive parents.

The day I brought my camera, only one family made an appearance.


It was around eight o'clock in the morning, and I'd gotten to work a bit early, hoping that an accommodating goose family would show up before I had to clock in. Even that early in the day, it was already hot and humid. Weather like this makes me deeply, existentially crabby. As I keep telling Greenturtle (a Southerner), this is why I can't live in the Deep South! (Just as he foils my dreams of moving North by stating, "It's not that I mind winter...I just don't want it to last six months!") Since Sunwiggy just e-mailed me that they're having temperatures in the forties and fifties right now in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, maybe he has a point!

I skulked under a tree, hoping the goose family would get closer.


And they did.


Some of them stopped to rest along the way.


Time for breakfast:


Proud parents:


Then it was time to go into the building and get to work. I managed to get a nice close-up as I walked past:


And then it was time to go inside. Eight hours to come, in front of a computer, calling insurance companies--"Why didn't you pay this claim?" Not even a window to look out of....

But every happy moment leaves its trace.

1 comment:

  1. I love this photo essay, and its ending, "Every Happy Moment Leaves Its Trace." The only cuter thing than the goslings is Trevor; what a handsome dog he is! It IS cold here in the UP; 48 degrees when I came home from work at 6 PM, and gray. Last night we turned on the heat! Mom

    ReplyDelete