Saturday, June 25, 2011

Juvenile crows and growing goslings


A couple weeks ago, as I strolled around my Work Place Pond, I heard the distinctive cries of juvenile crows. Looking around, I found two juveniles and two adults (mostly distinguishable by voice, somewhat by behavior), and happily watched their antics during my lunch break.

By a good stroke of luck, the two young crows were still hanging out by the pond last Wednesday, when I brought my camera in hopes of documenting the next stage of gosling growth. I got several good snaps before they flew away.





The goslings also made an appearance; as an added bonus, a mother wood duck and two ducklings also drifted by. The ducklings are right behind the geese to the left of the goose family.


As for the goslings themselves, they are starting to resemble their parents. They're still a little smaller and noticeably fuzzier, but pretty soon I won't be able to tell them apart at all.


In fact, if this year is like the previous two, in another week or so the geese will disappear from my Work Place Pond for the rest of the year -- I don't know why they leave or where they go, but I won't see them back in these numbers until next spring.

2 comments:

  1. How fun to watch the babies grow up! Could you get close enough to the juvenile crows to see their blue eyes? I've seen goslings and ducklings and juvenile grackles. It makes me laugh to watch the young ones chasing their parents around, begging for food. The poor parents look so harassed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you click on the first photo to enlarge it, you can see the blue eyes.

    ReplyDelete