Friday, July 8, 2011

Making an effort


Another hot day. But since I had the afternoon free, I decided I might as well look around for some birds. I had very low expectations, just the hope of getting a couple good photos of some summer residents.

I decided to head for Ewing Park in Bloomington. Bird-wise, my low expectations were not even met--so few birds! A pair of cardinals, a lot of robins, a ruby-throated hummingbird, a brown thrasher, and some crows. No, I did not forget any species; that was it.

And it was so hot. I walked very slowly and felt a little nauseous. Even the crows were hot--the one in the photo below isn't cawing, it's just holding its beak open to cool off.


I caught a robin dust-bathing on the trail.


And a little further, another one was sunning itself.


It let me get so close, I was getting worried that something was wrong with it; maybe it was dazed by the heat. And when it did move, what happened, did its head fall off??


What a relief!


After this short stroll, I felt like I'd made enough of an effort, and headed for Barnes and Noble to look at books about birds instead.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, how hot IS it there? Loved your robin photos, and that of the poor crow. I guess in the summertime the UP has the advantage, at least temperature-wise; it's usually quite pleasant. Sorry it's so hot! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been in the high eighties, but you know what they say. It's not the heat, it's the humidity that makes it so awful!

    ReplyDelete