Friday, October 28, 2011

Durance vile


All week my heart's desire has been to go out in search of birds...but, alas, I had to work. As the season shifts and the days shrink, the shackles of work grow even crueler, as the sun sets shortly after getting home.

Today was probably the worst. In the morning, the brown fields were coated with a thin layer of frost, and fog curled up from the ponds' surfaces. The sun was already starting to make the morning sparkle. And that was the last I saw of it. For the whole day.

I kept hoping I might be able to finish up my pile of tasks in time to stroll around White Oak Pond on my way to pick up Greenturtle at his workplace. But it was not to be. Instead, as I drove past, I peered out the car window and saw the water thick with birds, and how I longed to stop and stroll. But there just was no time.

At least it's Friday...two whole days to bird!

1 comment:

  1. Alas!, I only have Saturday off, and then it's more durance vile on Sunday for me. Here's hoping we both see lots of birds tomorrow! Mom

    ReplyDelete