Monday, July 22, 2013

At loggerheads no more!

You can kind of see a shrike in there. Maybe.

I think I should begin by expressing my shock and dismay at how long it has been since I have posted anything here. It's not that I haven't been birding (I have), or writing (I have), I just haven't been putting it on my blog. In my defense, I've been busy with a lot of other projects, including working on some non-blogging writing projects, reading, trying to get back in shape, trying to get my dogs into shape, and spending time with out-of-town company. So, although I am only posting this now, the events described actually took place on July seventh.

It all started with loggerhead shrikes. Shrikes in general were becoming Illinois nemesis birds for me, and I had dipped out more than once seeking them at Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie. This year I had pretty much resolved to ignore the Midewin shrikes, as it is a long trip up there, and much as I enjoy the prairie, it's not really one of my favorite places.

My good intentions lasted until I read on the Internet that someone had seen the shrikes with fledglings. It was simply beyond my power to pass up a chance to see baby shrikes. My Pomeranian must have sensed how much I wanted to see them, as he woke me up at 3:30 with his incessant barking. So then, since I was up so early and everything, I might as well go take a look....

I left slightly before dawn. It's a long drive, about two hours. My "career" as an insane bird chaser is tempered by the fact that I really loathe being in the car. I've heard of birders who will drive four or five hours for a really good bird, get out of their car, see it, and then get back in and drive four or five hours home. I say, more power to them. Alas, for me, a two hour drive feels like an epic journey, especially when I'm on my own.

There was still some freshness to the morning when I got there, and only one other car in the parking lot by the Iron Bridge Trailhead, home of the shrikes. There were the usual mix of birds -- field sparrow, dickcissel, house wren, mockingbird, meadowlark. I thought of Einstein's remark that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. And here I was again, doing the exact same thing in my Quest for the Shrike.

Before long, I met the other birder (of course, the other car belonged to a birder!), who asked me if I was familiar with the area.

"A little bit," I said, fully expecting him to bring up the shrikes.

"Do you know the best place to see Henslow's sparrows?" he asked. Well, that was a stumper. I knew Henslow's sparrows frequented the Prairie, and had seen them there once a few years back, but I sure couldn't remember the location. I mentioned that Goose Lake Prairie, not too far from Midewin, is a reliable place to find them, but he insisted they'd been spotted recently.

"I'm looking for loggerhead shrikes," I mentioned.

"Are they rare in Illinois?"

Unfortunately, they are rather rare, on the state endangered list in fact. I am sure there are other breeding pairs somewhere in Illinois, but the Midewin shrikes are the only ones I know of.

As we walked along, me looking for shrikes, him for sparrows, I felt that we were getting in each other's way a bit, so I turned to the right when another road presented itself. I was actually in the process of giving myself a little lecture about accepting the fact that I would not see shrikes and to enjoy the birds I did see, when I looked up, and there, perched on the wire before me, was a loggerhead shrike.

I crept up slowly, trying not to scare it, as I wanted a good picture to mark this, my day of triumph. The shrike flew across the road to a tree, where it was joined by another. They seemed like young birds to me--their markings not quite as crisp, and their behavior rather goofy. A meadowlark landed on the tree above them, causing both to take cover in the foliage, and then, realizing the other bird was not a threat, they both popped up again. It was quite a treat to see.

Finally, I turned back, shrikes seen at last. I wondered where the other birder came from; obviously a place where shrikes were common but Henslow's sparrows were not. I was also wondering if I should explore Midewin a bit since I was already up here, or head somewhere else, perhaps Goose Lake Prairie.

But since I was on a lucky streak, I decided to be really crazy and go to Hennepin-Hopper wetlands--which is not, by any stretch of the imagination, except perhaps to the type of person who will drive four hours to get their bird, close to Midewin. Hennepin-Hopper was the the site of a potential life bird, a neotropic cormorant, and I'd been meaning to get up and see it for the past week or so. (It's lovely when a life bird sticks around long enough that I can still see it a week or two later when I finally decide to.)

On my way back to the trailhead, I saw one of my favorite grassland birds, the grasshopper sparrow:

grasshopper sparrow

Sparrows might not be the showiest of birds, but I find them endearing, and the grasshopper sparrow makes a particularly cute buzzing noise.

The other birder's car was still there, and I satisfied my curiosity with a peek at his license plate. California. (Oh, the birds I could see in California! Although not Henslow's sparrows, apparently.)

I saw a bit more of central Illinois as I drove to Hennepin on the back roads (the great cornfield tour), and there, my luck held, for I soon saw the cormorant about halfway down the seep trail, perching, from what I understand, on the exact same stump that he'd first been seen on.

Normally, I like to spend an extra hour or so checking out all the other birds in the area, but it was about noon at this point, hot and humid, and I was tired. Yellow-headed blackbird, which I knew to be in the wetland? Not a life bird, I'm going home. The only explanation I have for this behavior is that I'd been up since three thirty in the morning and was not thinking straight!

When I got home, I realized that none of my photos turned out, as I had joggled the focus button and not realized it. (The grasshopper sparrow pic is from a different trip.) The shrikes strike again!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you were able to break your Shrike Curse! It's such a great feeling. This Spring, Dad (is his blog name Big Tree? I forget), and I were delighted to finally see a Northern parula this Spring, after trying for YEARS! Then, about a week later, we saw another. Once you break the curse, you start seeing your bird all of the time...and then along comes the new curse bird! MOM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete